Visit our seasonal Things To Do and Area Attractions pages for a list of winter favorites and local attractions. There’s something for everyone!
After a full day of winter fun, curl up with a good book or play a board game with loved ones around a warm fire. Ease tired muscles with a soak in the pool, hot tub, or sauna. For the ultimate in relaxation, book a hot stone massage or facial treatment at the Waves of Superior Spa.
Cook County is famous for its dark skies and epic star gazing. In fact, The BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness) is one of only 15 certified International Dark Sky Sanctuaries in the world. And, of course, this means we must celebrate! Our friends at Visit Cook County are hosting the 5th Dark Sky Festival on December 8-10. Check out the full schedule of events here.
A few highlights of the festival: Friday, December 9: • 7:30 p.m. Star Party! Located at Voyageur Brewing Company – Experience telescope viewing with the Marshall W. Alworth Planetarium team from the University of Minnesota Duluth.
Saturday, December 10: • 11 a.m – 2 p.m. Build Your Own Lunar Lander with NASA! Studio 21, Grand Marais – Join Andrea Jones and Staci Tiedeken from the Solar System Exploration Division at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center anytime between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. to learn about lunar exploration with NASA and build your own lunar lander! • 4 p.m.Building on Apollo and Preparing for Artemis with NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter – Studio 21, Grand Marais • 7:30 p.m. Screening of New Documentary & Exhibit Opening of “Northern Nights, Starry Skies” – Heritage Center at Grand Portage National Monument • 9:30 p.m. Night Sky Walk & Telescope Viewing at Pincushion Mountain Trailhead, Grand Marais
In addition to these pretty cool dark sky experiences, sign-up for a Bluefin Bay Family of Resorts complimentary activity during your stay. Join us on a guided hike at Tettegouche State Park, Sugarloaf Cove, or a bonfire hike complete with s’mores. Ice skate (complimentary skate rental!) under the stars at one of our rinks, or check out a set of cross-country skis and hit the local trails. We also offer a free shuttle service to Lutsen Mountains for those who love to alpine ski and snowboard.
Come experience the wonders of the dark skies and take advantage of some great lodging offers too: Snowfall Sale:20% off new reservations of two or more nights at Bluefin Bay and Surfside Gales Special: Stay three nights and receive one of those night FREE (midweek night free)
Winter on the North Shore: Our Top Ten List
The days have gotten shorter, the temps have started to drop and the holiday season is almost upon us. It’s the time of year when we add those extra layers and make plans to gather with friends and family for a winter adventure.
Here’s our top ten list of reasons to visit us this winter along the north shore of Lake Superior:
1. Great Offers! We’ll start with the amazing offers that are available during the winter season. Our most popular special, the Gales Special, has been extended through December 25. In addition, the Winter 4 for 3 Special and the Ski & Stay Packages help you stay for less all winter long.
2. Wave Watching! Undoubtedly, wintertime is one of the best times to view big waves on the Big Lake. Snuggle up with a warm drink or a glass of wine and watch the waves crash into the shore. On really cold days after a layer of ice has formed, you’ll get the added bonus of ice crashing into the shore. It’s mesmerizing!
3. Cross-Country Skiing! Some of the best cross-country skiing opportunities in the country are right here in Cook County. In fact, the Lutsen-Tofte area totals more than 150km and is groomed with the best available equipment. During your trip, you’ll find great ski options on the Sugarbush Trail System and the Norpine Trails.
4. Skiing and Snowboarding at Lutsen Mountains! Do you want to enjoy the midwest’s only true mountain ski experience? Head to Lutsen Mountains! 92 alpine runs across four interconnected mountains, make it nearly three to four times larger than any other Midwest Ski area. In addition, we offer free shuttles to and from the mountain for our guests!
5. Winter Hiking! One of our favorite ways to enjoy the area’s winter wonderland is with a winter hike. The crisp air is invigorating as you wander through picturesque forests and take in the views at stunning overlooks. Head out on your own or join us for a guided hike as part of our complimentary activities.
6. Let’s go Snowshoeing! When the snow is too deep for hiking we bring out the snowshoes. Join a guided tour and complimentary snowshoe rental for a one-of-a-kind winter experience.
7. Snowmobiling! The Lutsen-Tofte Snowmobile Trail System offers 67 miles of groomed trails that connect with the 146-mile-long North Shore State Snowmobile Trail, allowing for an endless combination of routes that can accommodate everything from a one-hour to a full-day ride.
8. Ice Skating! Our outdoor rinks at Bluefin Bay and Surfside on Lake Superior are winter favorites. In addition, skates in all sizes and hockey equipment are available to our guests as a complimentary service.
9. Bonfires & S’mores! Take a break from skating or watch others while staying cozy around the nightly bonfire. S’mores included, yum!
10. Time with loved ones! Winter months on the North Shore are truly magical. With this in mind, we invite you here to spend quality time in nature and savor the cozy moments with your favorite people.