The stars are shining brightly during these dark skies of December, the cozy fires are ready for a winter evening, and Lake Superior’s North Shore is radiant with holiday lights and festive cheer. There are so many things to love about this time of year. Of course, a favorite activity of all is sitting by a cozy fire with a festive drink in hand and a front row seat to the show that the Big Lake puts on. Here at Bluefin Bay Family of Resorts, we’ve put together a list of some of our other favorite activities and events that bring us joy during the holiday season.
- NEW OUTDOOR GUIDED ACTIVITIES! On December 23rd and the 30th we’ll be offering a new activity: Wilderness Bonfire Adventure Hike! Join us for a 3.5-mile hike, Beginning at Sugar Loaf and ending at Caribou Falls where we will get to stop half way at Crystal Creek to build a bonfire and have a wintery treat (S’mores & Hot Chocolate) before we head to the Caribou River where we can explore the top and base of Caribou Falls!
- DOWNHILL SKIING! Downhill skiing is already in full swing in our neck of the woods. Lutsen Mountains is open daily starting on December 15th and they have reported 12 inches of snow in the last 7 days! For those who love to downhill ski and stay at the Bluefin Bay Family of Resorts, you’ll want to book a Ski & Stay Package for the best deal. We offer FREE daily shuttles to and from the base of the mountain, frustration-free equipment rental at our neighboring Sawtooth Outfitters, and a variety of Can’t-be-beat Ski & Stay Packages.
- CROSS-COUNTRY SKIING! Spectacular scenery, varied terrain, and abundant snow add up to some of the best cross-country skiing in the country. Trails in the immediate Lutsen-Tofte area total more than 150km and are groomed with the best available equipment. During your stay, join us on a tranquil guided trip along the Poplar River. Amongst the mountains of Lutsen, this calm section of the Poplar provides amazing views. All skill levels welcome. Complimentary cross-country skis are available in our recreation center.
- KIDS ADVENTURE CLUB! Join us for a series of NEW Activities created especially to enhance your child’s Northwood’s Adventure Experience! From Finding “Fairy Stones” & creating necklaces to taking an Adventure Hike to track and identify our Northwood’s Wildlife. Also, relax with a hot cup of cocoa and at our Guest Services Building and learn all about how Northwood’s animals survive in our colder harsh climate.
- DINING WITH A VIEW AND HOLIDAY SPECIALS! After a day spent outdoors head to the Bluefin Grille for a cozy dinner or apps and cocktails with the most breathtaking views available on the North Shore of Lake Superior. The Bluefin Grille will be closed on Christmas Eve but open on Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve serving a full menu until 9 pm and a Late Night Menu until 11pm. Visit the Bluefin Grille page for full menus as well as a list of holiday specials you won’t want to miss!
- AREA ACTIVITIES & LIVE MUSIC! The Bluefin Grille will host live musicians between Christmas and New Year’s. Visit the Activities and Events page for dates and the musician line-up. Cook County is fortunate to have a thriving music scene year-round spanning all musical genres and settings from intimate to large venues. Check out the Visit Cook County Event Calendar for live music and event happenings.
Wishing you all the joys of the season and happiness throughout the coming year.
~ Happy Holidays from all of us at the Bluefin Bay Family of Resorts!