Witnessing the gales on Lake Superior is one of the iconic experiences on Minnesota’s North Shore. Late October, November, and December are the best times to see a big wave show. Wind speeds often reach 50 mph with gusts that have been known to exceed 70 mph. You’ll be mesmerized as the huge waves repeatedly crash into the shore.
Here are 5 reasons not to miss Gales Season this year:
1. The waves, of course! Stay with us and enjoy front-row panoramic views while keeping warm and cozy inside. Pro tip: Even on a chilly day, we like to crack a window open to hear the roar of the waves.
2. Stay for less! Stay October 23-December 22 for three nights or more and receive one of those nights (midweek) completely FREE! This offer is available at Bluefin Bay, Surfside, and Temperance Landing. Learn more and book the Gales Special here.
3. Complimentary Activities! In addition to fantastic wave-watching, take advantage of our complimentary resort activities. Guided hikes, bonfires with s’mores, crafts, winery shuttles, and more. Check out the Activities Calendar for upcoming adventures.
4. Enjoy the quieter time on Minnesota’s North Shore! This may be Lake Superior’s loudest season but it’s also a peaceful time here on the North Shore. Less traffic on the roads and the trails make it the perfect time to really get away from the hustle and bustle of life. Even though it is a quieter time there are still lots of fun things going on. Explore the local calendar of events for activities happening throughout Cook County.
5. Did we mention the waves? It really is all about the magnificent show on Lake Superior this time of year. Mother Nature provides the perfect backdrop while you enjoy outdoor adventures, visit local art galleries, shop for unique gifts, indulge in a spa treatment, have cozy dinners, and relax by a fire reading a book or playing board games with friends and family. On top of that, there’s nothing better than falling asleep to the sound of the waves crashing along the shoreline.