Cook County is famous for its dark skies and epic star gazing. In fact, The BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness) is one of only 15 certified International Dark Sky Sanctuaries in the world. And, of course, this means we must celebrate! Our friends at Visit Cook County are hosting the 5th Dark Sky Festival on December 8-10. Check out the full schedule of events here.
A few highlights of the festival:
Friday, December 9:
• 7:30 p.m. Star Party! Located at Voyageur Brewing Company – Experience telescope viewing with the Marshall W. Alworth Planetarium team from the University of Minnesota Duluth.
Saturday, December 10:
• 11 a.m – 2 p.m. Build Your Own Lunar Lander with NASA! Studio 21, Grand Marais – Join Andrea Jones and Staci Tiedeken from the Solar System Exploration Division at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center anytime between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. to learn about lunar exploration with NASA and build your own lunar lander!
• 4 p.m. Building on Apollo and Preparing for Artemis with NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter – Studio 21, Grand Marais
• 7:30 p.m. Screening of New Documentary & Exhibit Opening of “Northern Nights, Starry Skies” – Heritage Center at Grand Portage National Monument
• 9:30 p.m. Night Sky Walk & Telescope Viewing at Pincushion Mountain Trailhead, Grand Marais
In addition to these pretty cool dark sky experiences, sign-up for a Bluefin Bay Family of Resorts complimentary activity during your stay. Join us on a guided hike at Tettegouche State Park, Sugarloaf Cove, or a bonfire hike complete with s’mores. Ice skate (complimentary skate rental!) under the stars at one of our rinks, or check out a set of cross-country skis and hit the local trails. We also offer a free shuttle service to Lutsen Mountains for those who love to alpine ski and snowboard.
Come experience the wonders of the dark skies and take advantage of some great lodging offers too:
Snowfall Sale: 20% off new reservations of two or more nights at Bluefin Bay and Surfside
Gales Special: Stay three nights and receive one of those night FREE (midweek night free)