Our Caribou Falls guided hike begins with a short shuttle drive to a favorite Minnesota State Wayside. A pleasant walk along the Caribou River leads to one of the most breath-taking waterfalls on the North Shore! We’ll descend four flights of stairs to the base of the stunning 35-foot waterfall and then hike back up to the top…remember to count the number of steps for bragging rights later on! We’ll spend plenty of time at the base of this incredible waterfall just taking in the sights and sounds of this pretty river gorge. Once we start our climb back up and reach the top of the stairs, we’ll continue north on the trail for a short distance where you’ll enjoy a large observation platform with an amazing view of Lake Superior and the falls below.
The Caribou Falls hike is a great family activity because of its shorter distance and relatively gradual incline. Those who do not want to tackle the long set of stairs to the base of the falls can choose to head straight to the observation deck where you’ll enjoy a longer pit stop for enjoying the view. This hike is wonderful in all seasons but especially in the spring when the waterfalls are really rushing and in the fall as the leaves are popping with color!
Why locals and guests love this hike:
- A short drive (10 miles) from Bluefin Bay Family of Resorts
- The trailhead has a large paved parking lot located right off Highway 61 complete with a restroom facility.
- This is one of the more gentle and accessible trail hikes with a round trip distance of 1.5 miles.
- It provides access to the main Superior Hiking Trail
- The feeling of standing at the base of the 35-foot waterfall!
- The large overlook platform with Lake Superior views and the Caribou River gorge far below. This spot is perfect for family photos or a romantic proposal!