Bluefin Bay Fall Colors Report: 90% Summer, 10% Fall
*A few isolated pockets are seeing closer to 85% Summer & 15% Fall
Are you looking for more Instagram-worthy adventures? For this week’s Fall Color Report, we headed up the Sawbill Trail to the Britton Peak trailhead and hopped on the single-track mountain bike trails. The Sawbill Trail heads north right out of Tofte, across from our Coho Café & Bakery, and after a quick 2-mile drive you’ll find the Britton Peak parking area.
On Sept. 10th we biked the Short Stacker and Crosscut loops – Both were sweet rides and definitely got our adrenaline going! These routes take you through thick forests full of Aspen, Birch, Pine and lots of Maple trees. While on these trails bikers do need to concentrate on the terrain that lies ahead as you roll over rocks, roots, and narrow boardwalks. When we stopped for a breather, and to take in the sights, we noticed most areas still look quite green. We did come upon a couple stands of maples that decided to turn much earlier than the others. Their pop of orange was a treat for the eyes.
Overall, we’re reporting 90% summer leaves and 10% fall colors with just a few small pockets showing 85% summer and 15% fall color. There is still enough green throughout the forests that your eyes light up with surprise when a flash of orange, yellow, or red appears. This link to our photo gallery shows the Fall colors on September 10, 2017.
A word of caution: The Britton Peak Mountain Bike Trails are fairly technical and we recommend that you have previous experience on single-track trails before heading out. The good news, if mountain biking is not your thing: this trailhead is also the access point for the Superior Hiking Trail routes to Britton Peak, Carlton Peak, and Tofte Peak. These hikes are spectacular any time of year and especially during the fall color season. Join one of our guided hikes to Carlton Peak during your stay this fall to experience this incredible wilderness area located just a short distance from the Bluefin Bay Family of Resorts.
For avid mountain bikers, there are a couple other local single-track mountain bike trails to check out during your stay. This area along Lake Superior’s North Shore also provides miles and miles of back-country gravel roads and minimum-maintenance Forest Service roads to take your off-road bikes on. During your stay, stop at Bluefin Bay Guest Services or contact the Activities Department for directions and maps. For guests staying at any of the Bluefin Bay Family of Resorts, we also provide complimentary road and mountain bike rentals.
We look forward to seeing you on the trails soon! Don’t forget your camera.