North Shore Sweetheart Deal | Plan a Romantic Getaway
Celebrate the month of love and plan a romantic getaway to Bluefin Bay Family of Resorts. We promise that as you get closer to the lake, you’ll get closer to each other. Make your stay even sweeter by taking advantage of a new offer available for stays from February 1-16.
A few of our favorite North Shore activities for couples:
A sunset or sunrise walk along the Bluefin Bay Boardwalk: This instagrammable location meanders right along the shore of Lake Superior making it a perfect place to take in the breathtaking winter sunrise and sunsets.
Snowshoe or winter hike: Grab a map and head off to the forest for a winter stroll along a local trail. Check out complimentary snowshoes as well as ice trekkers for adequate grip. Or, for a full-service experience, sign-up for a guided hike with one of our experienced activities staff.
Ski at Lutsen Mountains: Couples who play together, stay together! Enjoy the thrills of downhill skiing while spending quality time together creating unforgettable memories.
Skinny ski on the local cross-country ski trails: Whether you’re avid cross-country skiers or have never tried it, you’ll love the beauty of the near-endless ski trails in Cook County. No equipment? No problem! We offer complimentary skis, boots, plus pole rentals to all guests. In addition, join one of the guided excursions to our favorite trails.
Ice skate under the stars: Bring your own skates, or check out a complimentary pair from us, and glide along one of the ice rinks together.
Snuggle in by the fire: After a day of outdoor adventure there’s nothing better than getting cozy by your in-room fireplace. Play a game, read books, or crack open a window and listen to the crash of the waves.
Massage at Waves of Superior Spa: For the ultimate in relaxation, book a spa treatment during your stay. It’s a perfect way to unwind and recharge together.
Spring Break Memories are Made on Minnesota’s North Shore
Are you hoping to plan a memorable Spring Break trip this year? Plan a getaway the whole family will love on Minnesota’s North Shore.
3 Reasons this year’s spring break will be one to remember at Bluefin Bay Family of Resorts:
1. Family Adventures:
Does your family prefer to be active and seek every snowy adventure you can find? For all you winter outdoor enthusiasts, the snow and trail conditions will be top-notch through at least mid-April. In addition, the longer days and warmer temps help us enjoy more of our favorite outdoor activities. Spend your days skiing & snowboarding at Lutsen Mountains, or cross-country skiing at the local Sugarbush and Norpine Trails. The outdoor fun can continue with incredible winter hiking or snowshoeing. Grab a map of local trails and head out to explore, or join our experienced activities staff on a complimentary guided adventure. From cross-country ski tours to snowshoe hikes along a snowy trail. No experience necessary – take advantage of this perfect opportunity to try something new with your family! Additionally, all gear including snowshoes, and cross-country ski packages are complimentary. Likewise, check out free ice skates, hockey sticks, and nets for use on the Bluefin Bay or Surfside ice rinks. While you skate, enjoy a nightly bonfire and s’mores under the dark night sky.
Visit the Event Calendar for a full list of complimentary guided trips and activities.
2. Unforgettable Memories:
Do you have visions of snuggling in, getting cozy, and spending precious quality time with your family? You’re in luck! It all starts with our beautiful accommodations. Whether you select a stunning lakeside suite or a multi-bedroom condo or townhome you’ll get a front-row seat to one of nature’s greatest shows: Lake Superior! During your stay, enjoy the heated outdoor pool and hot tub at Bluefin Bay or the indoor pool at Surfside, hot tubs, and saunas. Unplug and unwind as you put together a puzzle, play games, read books, or enjoy a cozy fire and the stunning views of the big lake. Or, how about joining a free craft class? Learn the art of wood burning or paint your own mini canvas. After a day of outdoor adventure or a day of indoor fun, Bluefin Bay Family of Resorts is the place to be. Many accommodations have full kitchens, plus we offer three on-site restaurants to maximize your dining options: Coho Cafe & Bakery, Bluefin Grille, and Waves Cafe.
3. Great Deals and Special Offers:
Spring Break will be even sweeter when you take advantage of these great Offers!
WINTER MIDWEEK 20% – Valid through February 28, 2023: Stay two or more nights midweek (Sunday-Thursday) and receive 20% off.
WINTER 4 FOR 3 SPECIAL – Valid through April 9th, 2023: This offer includes a complimentary night’s stay when you purchase three nights or more. That’s four nights for the price of three!
SKI & STAY PACKAGES – If you love to downhill ski at Lutsen Mountains and stay at the Bluefin Bay Family of Resorts, you’ll want to book a Ski & Stay Package for the best deal.
Winter Fun for Everyone!
The North Shore is on pace to break snow totals for the 2022-2023 season. Because of this, if you love to ski at Lutsen Mountains or cross-country ski the almost endless trail systems in Cook County, it’s been an epic start to the season. In fact, we even offer guided cross-country ski tours with complimentary equipment rentals to our guests. If skiing isn’t your thing, or to add in some active recovery days, we also provide an awesome variety of complimentary adventures and activities for our guests.
Complimentary Winter Activities & Adventures
Snowshoe or Winter Hikes. Hop in a shuttle and head to a local trail system for a guided hike through the winter forests of the North Shore.
We offer many different hiking experiences each week: Temperance River, Leveaux Mountain, Oberg Mountain, Carlton Peak, Cascade River State Park, Lookout Mountain, Lake Agnes, Sugarloaf Cove, Tower Overlook (new this year!), Dyer’s Creek, Section 13 Cliffs, High Falls and Shovel Point at Tettegouche State Park, George Crosby Manitou State Park, and there’s even a Bonfire Hike complete with s’mores!
Each hike is unique and offers a special experience in the surrounding wilderness. In addition, a variety of distances and difficulties provides options for everyone from families and beginners to experienced hikers. When the trails are nice and packed we’ll winter hike and provide ice trekkers if needed. When the snow is deep and fresh we’ll equip everyone with snowshoes!
Yoga. If you want to continue with your regular yoga practice while on vacation or just want to give it a try, then you won’t want to miss this class! During class, a yoga instructor will lead you through coordinated movement and breath to flow from pose to pose. All skill levels and ages 12+ are welcome.
Craft Classes. Feeling creative? Give your body a rest from the outdoor adventures and sign-up for one of our craft classes. For instance, try an Introduction to Wood Burning or Paint a Mini Canvas class. Roll up your sleeves and get crafty with us, we’ll have all the supplies you need!
Ice Skating. Our outdoor ice rinks (lit at night) provide the opportunity to skate without even leaving the resort. We also offer free hockey and figure skate rentals, plus hockey sticks, nets and pucks.
Nightly Bonfire & S’mores. Unwind each night with a bonfire and s’mores. While here, view the beautiful night sky and gather with loved ones to plan the next day’s adventures.
✅ Check out all the winter hikes, skiing, yoga and craft classes offered this season HERE.
Waves of Superior Cafe is Open!
Waves of Superior Cafe at Surfside is open and the perfect spot to fuel during a day of outdoor winter fun (or time spent unwinding at the Waves of Superior Spa). It’s even located close to the Surfside ice rink that’s available to all guests.
We’re excited to announce some new menu items like pizzas, quiche, breakfast sandwiches, and daily soup. Relax and take in the spectacular views of Lake Superior from the sunny, inviting cafe space. We also have board games available…get cozy and stay awhile! In addition to dine-in, we invite you to stop by to pick up food for your daily activities or your room – including yummy baked goods, trail sandwiches, and sweet treats!
Visit our seasonal Things To Do and Area Attractions pages for a list of winter favorites and local attractions. There’s something for everyone!
After a full day of winter fun, curl up with a good book or play a board game with loved ones around a warm fire. Ease tired muscles with a soak in the pool, hot tub, or sauna. For the ultimate in relaxation, book a hot stone massage or facial treatment at the Waves of Superior Spa.
Cook County is famous for its dark skies and epic star gazing. In fact, The BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness) is one of only 15 certified International Dark Sky Sanctuaries in the world. And, of course, this means we must celebrate! Our friends at Visit Cook County are hosting the 5th Dark Sky Festival on December 8-10. Check out the full schedule of events here.
A few highlights of the festival: Friday, December 9: • 7:30 p.m. Star Party! Located at Voyageur Brewing Company – Experience telescope viewing with the Marshall W. Alworth Planetarium team from the University of Minnesota Duluth.
Saturday, December 10: • 11 a.m – 2 p.m. Build Your Own Lunar Lander with NASA! Studio 21, Grand Marais – Join Andrea Jones and Staci Tiedeken from the Solar System Exploration Division at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center anytime between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. to learn about lunar exploration with NASA and build your own lunar lander! • 4 p.m.Building on Apollo and Preparing for Artemis with NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter – Studio 21, Grand Marais • 7:30 p.m. Screening of New Documentary & Exhibit Opening of “Northern Nights, Starry Skies” – Heritage Center at Grand Portage National Monument • 9:30 p.m. Night Sky Walk & Telescope Viewing at Pincushion Mountain Trailhead, Grand Marais
In addition to these pretty cool dark sky experiences, sign-up for a Bluefin Bay Family of Resorts complimentary activity during your stay. Join us on a guided hike at Tettegouche State Park, Sugarloaf Cove, or a bonfire hike complete with s’mores. Ice skate (complimentary skate rental!) under the stars at one of our rinks, or check out a set of cross-country skis and hit the local trails. We also offer a free shuttle service to Lutsen Mountains for those who love to alpine ski and snowboard.
Come experience the wonders of the dark skies and take advantage of some great lodging offers too: Snowfall Sale:20% off new reservations of two or more nights at Bluefin Bay and Surfside Gales Special: Stay three nights and receive one of those night FREE (midweek night free)
Winter on the North Shore: Our Top Ten List
The days have gotten shorter, the temps have started to drop and the holiday season is almost upon us. It’s the time of year when we add those extra layers and make plans to gather with friends and family for a winter adventure.
Here’s our top ten list of reasons to visit us this winter along the north shore of Lake Superior:
1. Great Offers! We’ll start with the amazing offers that are available during the winter season. Our most popular special, the Gales Special, has been extended through December 25. In addition, the Winter 4 for 3 Special and the Ski & Stay Packages help you stay for less all winter long.
2. Wave Watching! Undoubtedly, wintertime is one of the best times to view big waves on the Big Lake. Snuggle up with a warm drink or a glass of wine and watch the waves crash into the shore. On really cold days after a layer of ice has formed, you’ll get the added bonus of ice crashing into the shore. It’s mesmerizing!
3. Cross-Country Skiing! Some of the best cross-country skiing opportunities in the country are right here in Cook County. In fact, the Lutsen-Tofte area totals more than 150km and is groomed with the best available equipment. During your trip, you’ll find great ski options on the Sugarbush Trail System and the Norpine Trails.
4. Skiing and Snowboarding at Lutsen Mountains! Do you want to enjoy the midwest’s only true mountain ski experience? Head to Lutsen Mountains! 92 alpine runs across four interconnected mountains, make it nearly three to four times larger than any other Midwest Ski area. In addition, we offer free shuttles to and from the mountain for our guests!
5. Winter Hiking! One of our favorite ways to enjoy the area’s winter wonderland is with a winter hike. The crisp air is invigorating as you wander through picturesque forests and take in the views at stunning overlooks. Head out on your own or join us for a guided hike as part of our complimentary activities.
6. Let’s go Snowshoeing! When the snow is too deep for hiking we bring out the snowshoes. Join a guided tour and complimentary snowshoe rental for a one-of-a-kind winter experience.
7. Snowmobiling! The Lutsen-Tofte Snowmobile Trail System offers 67 miles of groomed trails that connect with the 146-mile-long North Shore State Snowmobile Trail, allowing for an endless combination of routes that can accommodate everything from a one-hour to a full-day ride.
8. Ice Skating! Our outdoor rinks at Bluefin Bay and Surfside on Lake Superior are winter favorites. In addition, skates in all sizes and hockey equipment are available to our guests as a complimentary service.
9. Bonfires & S’mores! Take a break from skating or watch others while staying cozy around the nightly bonfire. S’mores included, yum!
10. Time with loved ones! Winter months on the North Shore are truly magical. With this in mind, we invite you here to spend quality time in nature and savor the cozy moments with your favorite people.
A North Shore Thanksgiving
Join us on Minnesota’s North Shore for the Thanksgiving Holiday at Bluefin Bay Family of Resorts. Treat yourself to a long weekend of upscale accommodations, outdoor adventures, or skiing at Lutsen Mountains (they’re opening on November 19th!). Also, you’ll have plenty of time to relax and watch the gales roll in on Lake Superior. This is the perfect weekend to get away and celebrate the start of the holiday season, whether you want to slow down and stay cozy or keep active and invigorated by outdoor activities. Of course, we recommend making time for it all! Browse accommodations and book your stay here.
The Thanksgiving weekend is also an ideal time to reconnect, relax and restore at the Waves of Superior Spa. Indulge in services such as a chocolate truffle body wrap (yes, please!), a hot stone or deep tissue massage, or a rejuvenating facial. After all, you deserve it. Explore the spa services menu and book your experience here.
Is this holiday not complete for you without a feast? Let us do the work in the kitchen as you enjoy a Thanksgiving Buffet at the Bluefin Grille on Thursday, Nov 24. Watch the waves roll in while you sit back and savor dishes prepared by our talented culinary team. The buffet will be available from 12-5 pm and features carved roast turkey, cider braised pork, carved herb crusted beef, Lake Superior herring, smoked salmon, fresh fruits, salads & soups, decadent pastries, plus traditional Thanksgiving sides and desserts. View the full menu and make reservations here.
Have You Experienced Gales Season?
Witnessing the gales on Lake Superior is one of the iconic experiences on Minnesota’s North Shore. Late October, November, and December are the best times to see a big wave show. Wind speeds often reach 50 mph with gusts that have been known to exceed 70 mph. You’ll be mesmerized as the huge waves repeatedly crash into the shore.
Here are 5 reasons not to miss Gales Season this year:
1. The waves, of course! Stay with us and enjoy front-row panoramic views while keeping warm and cozy inside. Pro tip: Even on a chilly day, we like to crack a window open to hear the roar of the waves.
2. Stay for less! Stay October 23-December 22 for three nights or more and receive one of those nights (midweek) completely FREE! This offer is available at Bluefin Bay, Surfside, and Temperance Landing. Learn more and book the Gales Special here.
3. Complimentary Activities! In addition to fantastic wave-watching, take advantage of our complimentary resort activities. Guided hikes, bonfires with s’mores, crafts, winery shuttles, and more. Check out the Activities Calendar for upcoming adventures.
4. Enjoy the quieter time on Minnesota’s North Shore! This may be Lake Superior’s loudest season but it’s also a peaceful time here on the North Shore. Less traffic on the roads and the trails make it the perfect time to really get away from the hustle and bustle of life. Even though it is a quieter time there are still lots of fun things going on. Explore the local calendar of events for activities happening throughout Cook County.
5. Did we mention the waves? It really is all about the magnificent show on Lake Superior this time of year. Mother Nature provides the perfect backdrop while you enjoy outdoor adventures, visit local art galleries, shop for unique gifts, indulge in a spa treatment, have cozy dinners, and relax by a fire reading a book or playing board games with friends and family. On top of that, there’s nothing better than falling asleep to the sound of the waves crashing along the shoreline.
Fall Colors and Family Thrills
This past week, we checked out the fall colors at Lutsen Mountains and took a ride on the Alpine Slide! Located just a 10-minute drive from Bluefin Bay, Lutsen Mountains is nestled a couple of miles inland from Lake Superior. The maples are currently showcasing stunning peak color along the ridgeline of Moose Mountain.
To start, hop on a chairlift and ride to the top of Eagle Mountain. One of our favorite parts of this cool activity! Sit back and enjoy a unique panoramic view of the fall colors. As you climb, the transition to the bright golden birch along the valley and toward the lake is not quite at its peak yet but getting close. In addition, the contrast with the evergreens is a treat for the eyes. We can expect good color for a couple more weeks with the best autumn hues shifting closer to the lake.
Once at the top, don’t forget to linger awhile to take in the view of Lake Superior and the Superior National Forest. Then, head to the start and zip down a half-mile track on your sled! You control your own speed so your trip can be fast and thrilling or slow and easy. We recommend going more than once to take in all the views and thrills.
The Alpine Slide is open Saturday and Sunday through October 23 with additional days of October 20 and 21 for MEA Weekend. For even more fun while at Lutsen Mountains buy a ticket for the Summit Express Gondola for dramatic views of Lake Superior plus ridgeline access to the Superior Hiking Trail.