Join us on Minnesota’s North Shore for the Thanksgiving Holiday at Bluefin Bay Family of Resorts. Treat yourself to a long weekend of upscale accommodations, outdoor adventures, or skiing at Lutsen Mountains (they’re opening on November 19th!). Also, you’ll have plenty of time to relax and watch the gales roll in on Lake Superior. This is the perfect weekend to get away and celebrate the start of the holiday season, whether you want to slow down and stay cozy or keep active and invigorated by outdoor activities. Of course, we recommend making time for it all! Browse accommodations and book your stay here.
The Thanksgiving weekend is also an ideal time to reconnect, relax and restore at the Waves of Superior Spa. Indulge in services such as a chocolate truffle body wrap (yes, please!), a hot stone or deep tissue massage, or a rejuvenating facial. After all, you deserve it. Explore the spa services menu and book your experience here.
Is this holiday not complete for you without a feast? Let us do the work in the kitchen as you enjoy a Thanksgiving Buffet at the Bluefin Grille on Thursday, Nov 24. Watch the waves roll in while you sit back and savor dishes prepared by our talented culinary team. The buffet will be available from 12-5 pm and features carved roast turkey, cider braised pork, carved herb crusted beef, Lake Superior herring, smoked salmon, fresh fruits, salads & soups, decadent pastries, plus traditional Thanksgiving sides and desserts. View the full menu and make reservations here.
Witnessing the gales on Lake Superior is one of the iconic experiences on Minnesota’s North Shore. Late October, November, and December are the best times to see a big wave show. Wind speeds often reach 50 mph with gusts that have been known to exceed 70 mph. You’ll be mesmerized as the huge waves repeatedly crash into the shore.
Here are 5 reasons not to miss Gales Season this year:
1. The waves, of course! Stay with us and enjoy front-row panoramic views while keeping warm and cozy inside. Pro tip: Even on a chilly day, we like to crack a window open to hear the roar of the waves.
2. Stay for less! Stay October 23-December 22 for three nights or more and receive one of those nights (midweek) completely FREE! This offer is available at Bluefin Bay, Surfside, and Temperance Landing. Learn more and book the Gales Special here.
3. Complimentary Activities! In addition to fantastic wave-watching, take advantage of our complimentary resort activities. Guided hikes, bonfires with s’mores, crafts, winery shuttles, and more. Check out the Activities Calendar for upcoming adventures.
4. Enjoy the quieter time on Minnesota’s North Shore! This may be Lake Superior’s loudest season but it’s also a peaceful time here on the North Shore. Less traffic on the roads and the trails make it the perfect time to really get away from the hustle and bustle of life. Even though it is a quieter time there are still lots of fun things going on. Explore the local calendar of events for activities happening throughout Cook County.
5. Did we mention the waves? It really is all about the magnificent show on Lake Superior this time of year. Mother Nature provides the perfect backdrop while you enjoy outdoor adventures, visit local art galleries, shop for unique gifts, indulge in a spa treatment, have cozy dinners, and relax by a fire reading a book or playing board games with friends and family. On top of that, there’s nothing better than falling asleep to the sound of the waves crashing along the shoreline.
This past week, we checked out the fall colors at Lutsen Mountains and took a ride on the Alpine Slide! Located just a 10-minute drive from Bluefin Bay, Lutsen Mountains is nestled a couple of miles inland from Lake Superior. The maples are currently showcasing stunning peak color along the ridgeline of Moose Mountain.
To start, hop on a chairlift and ride to the top of Eagle Mountain. One of our favorite parts of this cool activity! Sit back and enjoy a unique panoramic view of the fall colors. As you climb, the transition to the bright golden birch along the valley and toward the lake is not quite at its peak yet but getting close. In addition, the contrast with the evergreens is a treat for the eyes. We can expect good color for a couple more weeks with the best autumn hues shifting closer to the lake.
Once at the top, don’t forget to linger awhile to take in the view of Lake Superior and the Superior National Forest. Then, head to the start and zip down a half-mile track on your sled! You control your own speed so your trip can be fast and thrilling or slow and easy. We recommend going more than once to take in all the views and thrills.
The Alpine Slide is open Saturday and Sunday through October 23 with additional days of October 20 and 21 for MEA Weekend. For even more fun while at Lutsen Mountains buy a ticket for the Summit Express Gondola for dramatic views of Lake Superior plus ridgeline access to the Superior Hiking Trail.