Trail Reports for Winter Fun on the North Shore!
February 24, 2020
March is almost here! The North Shore is seeing the most snow in the state, longer days, and higher temps. It’s time to get outside! With this in mind, here’s an update on the area trail conditions and resources for planning your late-winter getaway:
The local Sugarbush Trails have a nice deep base of snow. As a result, all 65 kilometers are groomed and open! With direct access to Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior, you can easily explore this beautiful area.
Visit the Sugarbush Trail Association website for weekly updated trail reports and maps. As a guest, you can take advantage of complimentary cross-country ski rentals and Guided Ski Tours on the Onion River Road trail.
Our Activities Department also plans guided trips on the Norpine Trails. This beautiful system is located in the Lusten area and winds through pine and hardwood forests. The Norpine Trail groomers are reporting all trails are open and in good condition!
Cook County has 400 kilometers of cross-country ski trails making it the largest network of trails in North America. The overall trail base ranges from 12-27 inches creating some of the greatest groomed trails we’ve had in years. Check out the Visit Cook County website to discover all the wonderful trail systems to be explored in our area.
A long and snowy season has made for some epic ski and snowboard days. Because of this, Lutsen Mountains has a snow base of 30-72 inches on all primary runs. With 4 mountains and 95 runs, everyone will enjoy skiing or snowboarding at the Midwest’s only mountain ski area.
We provide free shuttles to the base of the mountain and you’ll love the Ski and Stay Packages for the best deals.
HIKING & SNOWSHOEING:
Winter hiking is a favorite activity here on the North Shore and trails are in great condition right now. Just after a snowfall, strap on a pair of snowshoes (complimentary rentals to resort guests) to trek through the deeper snow. Many trails that you enjoy in the summer are packed and accessible during the winter! A pair of winter boots or ice grips are all you need to experience a walk through the snowy woods. Let our activities staff show you the way on a guided hike or snowshoe adventure! Visit our Resort Activities & Events page for details on our guided adventures.
Explore the Lake Superior shoreline plus inland woods and lakes on the endless miles of groomed snowmobile trails. Local snowmobile clubs are reporting good conditions on the trails. The Cook County Snowmobile Club has updated trail conditions and maps for the local trails. Or, visit the North Shore Visitor website for info on snowmobile trails all along Highway 61.
See you on the trails!
Plan an Unforgettable Spring Break on Minnesota’s North Shore
February 17, 2020
Plan a Spring Break getaway the whole family will love! 3 Reasons this year’s spring break will be sweeter at Bluefin Bay Family of Resorts on the shores of Lake Superior…
Unlimited Family Fun!
Does your family like to get out and enjoy every snowy adventure you can? For the winter adventure seekers, the snow and trail conditions will be top-notch through April. In addition, the longer days and warmer temps help you enjoy more of your favorite activities. Spend your days skiing & snowboarding at Lutsen Mountains, or cross-country skiing the local Sugarbush or Norpine Trails. Continue the outdoor fun with some epic winter hiking or snowshoeing. Our experienced activities staff offer lots of complimentary guided adventures for the whole family. From cross-country ski tours to snowshoe hikes along a frozen river. No experience necessary – take advantage of this perfect opportunity to try something new as a family! In addition, all gear including snowshoes, and cross-country ski packages are complimentary. Plus, check out free ice skates, hockey sticks, and nets for use on the Bluefin Bay or Surfside ice rinks. Visit the Activites Calendar for a full list of complimentary guided trips and activities.
Cozy Family Memories!
Do you love to snuggle in, get cozy, and spend precious quality time with your family? You’re in luck! It all starts with our beautiful accommodations. Whether you select a stunning lakeside suite or a multi-bedroom condo or townhome you’ll get a front-row seat to one of nature’s greatest shows…Lake Superior! Enjoy the indoor or outdoor (heated!) pool at Bluefin Bay, hot tubs, and sauna. Unplug and unwind as you put together a puzzle, play games, read books, or just enjoy a fire and the stunning views of the big lake. After a day of outdoor adventure or a day of indoor fun, Bluefin Bay is the place to be. Many accommodations have full kitchens, plus we offer two on-site restaurants to maximize your dining options: Coho Cafe & Bakery and the Bluefin Grille.
Great Deals and Special Offers!
Spring Break will be even sweeter when you take advantage of these Great Deals and Packages!
- March Weekends at Midweek Rates: Stay three nights or more and receive weekends in March at midweek rates (that’s 20-40% off the regular rates)! Valid March 4-22.
- Ski & Stay Packages: For those who love to downhill ski at Lutsen Mountains and stay at the Bluefin Bay Family of Resorts, you’ll want to book a Ski & Stay Package for the best deal. Plus – FREE daily shuttles to and from the base of the mountain!
- Extended Stay Special: With this progressive savings deal, the longer you stay at any of our Bluefin Bay Family of Resorts, the more you save! Stays of four nights receive 10% off, five nights 15% off, six nights 20% off and seven nights receive 25% off.
Rolling Out the White Carpet for Winter Fun!
February 10, 2020
At Bluefin Bay Family of Resorts, our complimentary rental equipment, knowledgeable Guest Services team, and area attractions create the perfect trifecta to help you enjoy a customized winter adventure. Here’s an overview of our most popular winter activities.
- Cross-country skiing: With more than 400 km of Nordic ski trails in Cook County, you’ll never run out of places to explore. Check out complimentary cross-country ski equipment and explore the area trails at your leisure or join one of our free guided ski excursions.
- Snowshoeing: Winter hiking is at its best up here. Explore the great North Woods with our complimentary snowshoes. Ask for a trail map at Guest Services or join one of our free guided snowshoe hikes.
- Downhill Skiing & Snowboarding: Bluefin Bay offers complimentary shuttles to Lutsen Mountains Lutsen Mountains is the biggest & best ski resort in the Midwest. Check out our Ski & Stay Packages to get the best deal on ski and snowboard vacations.
- Ice skating rinks at Bluefin Bay and Surfside are a hit with families and friends alike. Check out a pair of complimentary ice skates at Guest Services. We also offer hockey nets, sticks and pucks to sign out. End your skating time at one of our evening bonfires complete with s’mores…of course!
- Nightly campfire and s’mores at Bluefin Bay and Pick up your complimentary s’mores packet at Guest Services.
- Creative Kids Club – Join us as we get crafty building birdhouses and decorating them with a variety of craft supplies! Parents are encouraged to join in on the fun!
- NEW! Craft Mini-Courses: We are excited to offer new mini-courses onsite as part of our resort winter Activities program! The courses are completely free and will introduce guests to the element of Northern craft. In February and March, we’ll be offering an Intro to Alcohol Ink Painting Class.
- NEW! Fiber by the Fireplace: Join us at the Bluefin Bay guest services lobby for a relaxed evening with like-minded fiber artists! Bring a project you are working on and gather around the fire with a local fiber artist to share stories, work on projects, and soak up creative inspiration from others. All levels and abilities are encouraged to bring your fiber projects like knitting, crochet, needlepoint, etc. If you do not have a project to bring you can still join and learn the art of Kumihimo – a Japanese form of braiding! Our visiting local artist will also bring needles and hooks to use, plus yarn for sale if needed.
- Yoga: Offered on Wednesday and Saturday mornings and all levels encouraged to attend.
- North Shore Winery Shuttles: If trying a new wine is more your idea of adventure, hop on a complimentary shuttle and head to North Shore Winery for a tasting & Shuttles available daily when the winery is open.
- Live music at the Bluefin Grille on Mondays and Fridays from 8-10 pm.
Learn more and see our full schedule on the Activities & Events calendar.
Celebrate With Your Sweetheart!
February 6, 2020
Celebrate the month of love with a winter vacation to Bluefin Bay Family of Resorts. We promise that as you get closer to the lake, you’ll get closer to each other. In addition, take advantage of great packages and upcoming specials this winter.
- NEW: NORTH SHORE SWEETHEART DEAL! Offer valid Feb. 1-Feb. 13, 2020. Stay 3 nights and one is FREE + Complimentary Champagne and a coupon for a free wine tasting at North Shore Winery in Lutsen! If you and your sweetie are looking for a North Shore romantic getaway that avoids the crowds on Valentine’s Day/President’s Day holiday weekend, this sweet deal is for you!
- Romantic Retreat Package: Two or more nights in a Grand Superior Master Suite or any other room style. Breakfast for two on two separate mornings at either the Bluefin Grille or Coho Cafe & Bakery. Dinner for two at the Bluefin Grille with breathtaking Lake Superior views (value up to $80). Your getaway should be as unique as your love and you can personalize your package with distinctive add-ons. See the complete package details for more information.
- Waves Spa Couples Getaway Package: Two or more nights in a Grand Superior Master Suite or any other room style plus a 60-minute couples relaxation massage at Waves of Superior Spa (appointments must be made when reserving lodging)
- North Shore Honeymoon Package: Two or more nights in a Grand Superior Master Suite or any other room style. Breakfast for two on two separate mornings at either the Bluefin Grille, Waves of Superior Cafe, or Coho Café (up to $25 each day). Dinner for two at the Bluefin Grille with breathtaking views (value up to $80). Rose petals scattered in your room upon arrival. Commemorative photo frame. North Shore Winery tour and tasting
Treat your Valentine to Dinner at the Bluefin Grille or Coho Cafe!
In addition to the full menus, Bluefin Grille and Coho Cafe will be offering these evening Sweetheart Specials on Friday, February 14th and on Saturday, February 15th.
- Entrees: Pappardelle Pasta with Maine Lobster and Shrimp • Steak Oscar • Grilled Swordfish
- Desserts: Gluten-Free White and Dark Chocolate Cake • Warm Vanilla Raspberry Bundt Cake a la Mode
Coho Cafe & Bakery
- Entrees: Honey Garlic Glazed Salmon • Steamed Mussels • Pan-Seared Raspberry Pork Chop
- Desserts: Bread Pudding • Raspberry Biscuit Cake • Tembleque Coconut Custard