Happy Earth Day from Bluefin Bay
Happy Earth Day to all! At Bluefin Bay, we strive to be as environmentally friendly as possible. Here's a closer look at the steps we are taking to be more "green":
In an effort to reduce both propane and electrical consumption, Bluefin Bay has installed geothermal heat recovery systems in the following areas:
- The Bluefin Bay outdoor pool and recreation building, saving over 12,000 gallons of propane per year
- The Coho Café & Bakery, saving 2200 gallons of propane per year
- Bluefin Bay’s sister resort, Surfside on Lake Superior, including the Waves of Superior Spa & Conference Center, cutting combined propane and electrical use in this facility by 70%.
- An MPCA-award winning, privately operated wastewater treatment facility, under a license of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
- Two-thirds of all Bluefin Bay condominium units are heated by off-peak storage heat, using excess electrical generating capacity that would otherwise be wasted on the electrical grid
- All motorized golf carts used by guest service and housekeeping staff have been replaced with electrical carts powered by off-peak electricity
- Florescent light bulbs are used in all fixtures in which they are applicable, along with dimmers on fixtures that use incandescent bulbs
- Replacement of all outside deck surfaces with decking composited out of recycled materials, resulting in increased deck life and no deforestation
- High efficiency “low-e” thermopane windows in all of the more recent condominium units. Windows in older units are being replaced with high performance “SmartSun Low E-4 ” Insulated Glass™
- Organic skin care products made by Eminence in both the Bluefin Bay Wellness Center and Waves of Superior Spa
- Guest bathroom amenities that contain no sulfates, no parabens, no phthalates, no artificial colors and no animal testing
- Towels made of bamboo fiber instead of cotton, providing softer, longer and stronger threads, an extended useful life by 1/3rd over cotton, and a 25% shorter drying time than cotton
- Housekeeping services provided upon guest requests in an effort to conserve water and reduce the amount of chemicals used in the cleaning process.