The legacy of Bluefin Bay dates back to the late 1800’s, when four Norwegian settlers came to the area now known as Tofte. Inspired by the area’s natural beauty, free homesteads blanketed by virgin timber, and the promise of a great lake seemingly bursting with fish, the settlers forged a life on the shores of Lake Superior. In the area’s first demonstration of North Shore hospitality, Lake Superior’s Native Americans welcomed the newcomers, guiding them through their first seasons with gifts of nourishing food, lessons on trapping in the local forests, and the moody secrets of the great lake.
As the relationship between the settlers and the Native Americans progressed, so too did the traffic to the Tofte area. To accommodate the area’s many guests, a small lodge was built on land that is now part of Bluefin Bay. Since that moment, the land has always held a lodging establishment.
For more than 100 years, the site of Bluefin Bay has been the center of hospitality on the North Shore of Lake Superior. And for more than 25 of those years, Bluefin Bay has proudly preserved that heritage by welcoming guests, inviting them to get close to the lake, and helping them to get closer to one another.
In the words of Ted Tofte, a descendant of the very first settlers, "the big sea water remains almost exactly as those pioneers found it— enchanting, exciting, turbulent, peaceful, powerful, beautiful, majestic-ever changing, yet ever the same. Millions have discovered it and come to enjoy it. Indeed, it is now a national treasure.”